What Are the Benefits of Winning the Green Card Lottery?

Posted on

One can get a permanent legal resident status through the DV lottery program that is conducted every year. Being a card holder, you can enter, work and live permanently in the US. There are different ways to get a green card.

Diversity lottery:

You can get a green card through the DV lottery program. The DV lottery (Diversity Visa) program, conducted every year provides 50,000 green cards to applicants who are selected randomly. To apply for the DV lottery program,applicants should meet simple, but strict eligibility requirements. Since not all countries are eligible, the very first eligibility criteria is that you should be from a qualifying country. The eligibility country will generally be the same as your country of birth and is not related to where you live. Other eligibility criteria is that the applicant should have at least a high school education or its equivalent.

You might be wondering why certain countries are not eligible to participate in the DV free lottery program. Countries from which large number of immigrants move to the US are not eligible. If more that 50,000 persons in the family and employment based visa categories immigrated to the US in the last five years from a single country, this country will not qualify for the current year’s DV lottery.

Why get a green card?
As a card holder you have the right to apply for government-sponsored financial aid for education. You can pay less tuition for university and college, also known as “in-state” tuition or “resident” tuition. Savings in most cases are 3 to 4 times lower than what foreigners pay. You have the permission to work in any company located in U.S. territory regardless of job function, hours/week, etc. except for some companies that only hire U.S. citizens. There is no need for employer sponsorship either. Some jobs require security clearance that only green card holders and U.S. citizens can get. Therefore, a green card provides more job opportunities.

It also means that you have the permission to start own business and create own corporation. You will get Social Security benefits when you retire, if you worked for 10 years (40 quarters to be precise) before retiring. You can sponsor your spouse and unmarried minor children under 21 for them to get permanent status. If you got green card for your family, it will still be valid even if you lose your job or pass away.

Having a work permit, primary visa holder’s spouse and minor unmarried children under 21 can stay in the U.S. as dependents. Even if you have a work permit, your child/ren have to get student visas to study and work visas to work. But, once they get a green card, they are allowed to stay in the U.S. even after turning 21 and even if they get married.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *