You just finished a meal and shortly after you feel:
- Light headed
- Stomach growling
- Stomach cramping
- Shakiness, fatigue, weakness
- Esophageal spasms
- Inability to focus
These symptoms are generally the feelings that we interpret as hunger. These uncomfortable symptoms can be experienced at different degrees by different people.
And for many people, these uncomfortable symptoms are the undoing of all of their attempts to lose weight by eating less food.
- Since eating removes the symptoms, they are mistakenly believed to be that of hunger.
- People are consistently led by these symptoms to consume more calories than is required and this widespread overeating behavior has led to an epidemic of obesity and a continual rise in preventable chronic diseases.
Are these sensations truly signs of hunger?
Conventional wisdom, and even medical textbooks, would suggest that they are. But many doctors and scientists now disagree.
According to Dr. Fuhrman it is Toxic Hunger, “The typical Western diet is characterized by high-calorie processed foods, oils, sweeteners, and animal products and is low in phytochemicals and other micronutrients. There is evidence that such a diet, low in micronutrients and phytochemicals, results in inflammation, oxidative stress, and accumulation of toxic metabolites. When digestion is complete, the body begins to mobilize and eliminate waste products, causing uncomfortable symptoms. If we allow waste metabolites to build up by eating unhealthy foods, we will feel discomfort when the body attempts to mobilize and remove these wastes. I propose that these sensations are actually symptoms of detoxification and withdrawal from an unhealthy diet, lacking in crucial micronutrients. Scientists now know that unhealthy food has effects on the brain similar to those of addictive drugs.”
What is Toxic Hunger?
Toxic hunger is a physical addiction to an unhealthful, and low nutrient dense diet. Those symptoms associated with hunger are actually signs of your body’s toxicity.
Our bodies are so contaminated with heavy metals, GMOs, antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, herbicides, high fructose corn syrup and chemicals that many Americans do not even know how real hunger feels.
It may not be wrong to compare The American diet with drugs; they both are toxic, addictive and harmful for the body.
- The processed foods filled with ingredients that sound like a science experiment with a shelf life of a decade.
- Plus our so-called healthy fruits and veggies, sprayed with a chemical concoction of pesticides and herbicides adding to the chemicals your body is ingesting.
What happens when you eat this chemical concoction called food?
- Your body starts to play 20 questions.
- Your body doesn’t recognize it
- Your body’s internal organs and digestive system have no idea what to do with these mystery “foods” and chemicals.
When these chemicals enter your body, your body protects itself by storing the foreign toxins in your lovely fat cells, away from your vital organs. This is a necessary survival mechanism naturally occurring inside your body.
- Can you imagine what happens to your fat cells everyday after eating all these toxins?… They get bigger and bigger!
What happens After these chemicals enter the body?
- Your blood sugar quickly rises to an extreme high, releasing insulin to lower the blood sugar back to safe range~ 60-100, releasing too much.
When too much insulin releases into your body:
- It makes you fatter causing you to store fat.
- Causes your blood sugar to drop too low
- Making you toxic hungry, irritable
- And, then craving more of these chemicals
The cycle of toxic hunger continues on and on, all day long.
So, What Does Real or True Hunger Feel Like?
The feelings of real hunger (“true hunger”) are mainly felt in the mouth and throat. Not in the head and stomach.
By removing toxic hunger and getting back in touch with true hunger makes eating more pleasurable and you are able to maintain your ideal weight without extreme dieting.
It’s always difficult to break a bad habit at the beginning, but once you pass the toxic hunger phase, your body can recover and repair itself.
- Imagine you’re addicted to cigarettes and smoke 5 cigarettes a day and suddenly you stop smoking, of course at first it feels awful. But if you can pass the detoxification phase you actually start feeling better.
It’s the same with getting past the toxic hunger phase.
- And, by enhancing the quality of your diet, and increase your intake of nutrient dense foods, this can lead to the reduction in the uncomfortable symptoms associated with toxic hunger despite a lower caloric intake.